Rice crisp cereal - 8 cups (Any brand will do)
Light Brown sugar - 3/4 cup
Light Corn syrup - 1 cup
Vanilla - 1 tsp
Peanut Butter - 1/2 cup (I used regular peanut butter which has sugar in it)
Take a large bowl and spray the whole bowl with vegetable oil spray. Spray a 13 X 9 pan, measuring cup, a spatula with oil spray. Measure 8 cups of rice crisp cereal into the prepared bowl. In a glass measuring cup, measure 1 cup of corn syrup. To that add the brown sugar and peanut butter and microwave for 2 minutes. Stir and microwave for one more minute. It'll start bubbling over. Stir completely to incorporate all the peanut butter and make sure brown sugar is melted. Add vanilla and pour this into the bowl and stir well. Pour the mixture into the prepare pan. Now is the fun part. Wet your hands slightly and start pressing the mixture firmly into the pan evenly. If it starts sticking to your fingers, wet it again. Or you could lay a parchment paper on the top and press on that. Leave it alone for an hour. Cut into pieces when completely cool and set. I cut into 7 X 5 rows and columns to get 35 medium size pieces. You can just do 24 big pieces if you like. Store in an airtight container for up to a week. It never lasts more than 3 days at my place. If you think this is too much, half the ingredients and make it in an 8 X 8 pan. Don't forget to read the variations at the end..
- You can omit the peanut butter if you don't like it. Increase the brown sugar to 1 cup and reduce the cereal by 1 cup.
- You can add up to 1 cup of toasted nuts or dry fruits or chocolate chips, butterscotch chips.
- Try with other nut butters and if you are using natural no sugar added, increase the sugar.
- For an Indian taste, add roasted peanuts, raisins, dry coconut and add cardamom powder in the place of vanilla.
- Another indian flavor is to add toasted cashews and raisins with dry coconut and toasted sesame seeds. Don't forget cardamom.