Know What U Eat: Popular Indo-chinese vegetable spring-rolls, a quick and easy to make anytime snack. How did it got its name?? In China, spring rolls are closely associated with the Spring Festival, which explains the origin of their name. The Spring Festival celebrates the new year and new growth, and many foods are served during the multi-day festival to get celebrants in the mood. Traditional spring rolls have fresh vegetables, green shoots, and light wrappers so that they have a delicate flavor and a light texture which is meant to evoke spring. We too celebrated 1st day of spring this year, making these easy to make spring-rolls.Ingredients:
12 Spring roll wraps (available in any grocery store)
1Tbsp all purpose flour + water for paste to seal edges
1 C Green/White Cabbage, finely shredded;
1 C Carrot, cut into thin long strips;
1 C French Beans, finely chopped lengthwise;
1/2 C Red onions, finely sliced;
1/2 C Bean sprouts;
1 Medium Bell pepper, cut into thin long strips
3 Green chillies, chopped (add chilly sauce, optional)
1/2 tsp Ginger, minced
1 tsp Garlic, minced
2 Tbsp Soya Sauce
1/2 tsp White pepper
1-2 tsp of vinegar
Salt to taste
Oil for frying
1. Defrost springroll wraps, untill 30 mins or follow instructions of label.
2. Meanwhile, in a broad pan, add all the veggies + sprouts with some water, cover and cook for a 3-4 mins. Do not over cook. Once done, remove all the excess water by pouring all the veggies in a muslin cloth, tie & twist it, to remove all the water.
3. Now to these veggies combine, ginger, garlic, chillies, soya sauce, salt, pepper, vinegar, mix thoroughly. Divide these mixture into 12 portions. Set aside.
4. Once spring roll sheets are thawed, separate each sheet carefully, and place it on a board. Cover the rest of the sheets with damp towel if necessary.
5. Place the veggie mixture over the sheet in the center. Fold in the sides and form a tight horizontal roll see the picture, sealing the edge with a little flour and water paste. Similarly make all the twelve wraps.
6. Deep fry in hot oil until golden brown. Put them on a tissue paper and cut them into 1 inch pieces. Serve the vegetarian spring roll hot with a mixture of red-garlic sauce with some ketchup.
One Successful Year: A big thank you to all our readers and who wished for our 1st Blog Anniversary, soon until we realized, it was one complete year of blogging, March 29th of last year when I and my co-blogger Sadhana, thought of starting a blog which not only have "recipes", but also put some focus on our day to day eating habits, Our "Know what U Eat" section always lets us understand the nutritional value, and let us keep a close watch on what we eat and serve to our families..Beside sharing some home-made recipes & participating in ongoing events, we also put efforts in collecting important information regarding some products available in market, which are being used in almost all the food we prepare here at home. For eg: we talked about xylitol, msg, natural sweet-ners, diabetic diet, gluten free diet, range & benefits of healthy baking, lots of other things &overall vegetarian cooking. Also hosting complete series of Home Remedies 1, 2 so on - A forgotten Ayurveda- to pass on to our next generation. Email us at a2zvegetariancuisine (at) gmail (dot) com, if you are interested in guest hosting next available series...Not to forget made so many blog-pals, well-wisher's & anonymous along the way..your comments, suggestions are always appreciated..
Blog Vacation: Am all set for my NET test due in the month of April..and still preparing..w'll be on a short break for a while, but will soon resume..Until then take care, and please continue your ongoing love & support.